Sunday, August 31, 2008

كل عام و أنتم بخير

Hey Everyone,

Tomorrow is the first night of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month. Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calender and is a time of fasting, prayer, and charity for Muslims worldwide. During the month of Ramadan, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. They abstain from physical desires such as food, water, and smoking. They are called to reflect upon and concentrate on Allah. Muslims break their fast each night with an evening meal called the iftar. This meal is typically a community event as many Muslims visit close family and friends. A meal called the sahoor precedes the sunrise each morning and the start of a new day of fasting.

Daily life in Islamic countries changes dramatically during the month of Ramadan. A taxi cab driver told me today that tomorrow at 7 PM the streets will be empty as everyone has gone home for the iftar (الإفطار). Alexandria's streets are typically bananas at 7 PM. Many restaurants and shops close or maintain limited hours throughout the month. I am excited to be here and experience Ramadan.

On a somewhat globally less significant note, classes also start tomorrow. Play time is over, unfortunately. I will be taking classes in Classical Arabic or fousha (فصحى), Egyptian colloquial Arabic (عامية مصرية), an elective (Arabic translation, Media Arabic, or History of the Middle East), and a one-on-one discussion on a topic of my choice with a professor from Alexandria University. I requested a professor from the Economics department and I hope to discuss economic issues in the Middle East such as water (or the lack thereof), bread (or lack thereof), pollution (nope, plenty of this) and oil (why can't we eat this?? I suppose it would do a number on our teeth...).

Yesterday I went with my friends Sara and Joe to a church service in Arabic. The people were great and the service was very nice (although I can not say I understood that much). I am looking forward to going again. Christian worship services take place on Fridays or Saturdays in Egypt to line up with the Egyptian weekend and Islamic holy day of Friday.

As I mentioned before, I am new to this whole blogging thing so I did not realize you could insert pictures. Well. This brother has learned. This evening our group went swimming in the Mediterranean and 'twas amazing.


Lastly, as promised, a video from the Wadi Sports Camp. Enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1035486921309

Garden lions, monkey in the middle of the Mediterranean, and almost a whole(ly) month in Egypt

1 comment:

cornelson said...

Could you comment on the Middle Eastern transformation of the noun bananas into a verb? I wonder how this usage came about?