Tuesday, November 18, 2008

One Love

I meant to include this story in the previous post but forgot so here it comes.

While in Aswan we visited Elephantine Island, an island in the Nile to the west of the city. The island is a total deviation from the groomed tourist appearance of Aswan. (I use the word groomed lightly.) Elephantine Island is home to some of those who lived to the area before the city became a tourist center.

In our wanderings and getting lost we met some restaurant owners. Setting foreigners back on the right path regularly requires coming in a said restaurant, sitting, and talking so when they invited us in, we accepted. They took us up to the upstairs patio. It was there we met Godzilla.


Godzilla is one ornery crocodile (or alligator? Ah! I forgot). Our friend above in yellow boldly poked him with a stick as me and my friends tried to remain calm and casual. I, personally, was looking for where I was going to hide when the crocodile burst free of his glass prison and went on a rampage. Thankfully though the encounter ended without incident.

That, however, is not the story I wanted to share with you.

Bob Marley has a following in southern Egypt. One of the restaurant workers stopped us on our way out and asked us, "What does tears mean?" We explained the meaning and a smile spread across his face. One of his favorite songs is "No Woman, No Cry" and he did not understand the words. Oh the joy of understanding.

Oh cultural collisions. Especially ones that involve Bob Marley.

I say little darling, don't shed no tears, no woman no cry

No comments: